Top Headlines

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Snakes in an engine

It's fun to be oblivious, but when reality sets in it can be quite frightening.
While working on the 272 V8 engine I was oblivious. A couple of weeks ago I had tried to crank the engine but the starter was shot, after getting it back from JKs Starter & Alternator in Palestine, who did a beautiful job on repairing and restoring the starter. While putting the starter in the bell housing I noticed there was something funny looking inside of it. After closer inspection I found it was a snake.
After running around for a few minutes I settled down and like any brave man would do, I called my wife to come help.
She tried poking the snake out with a wire and managed to get its tail out, but that was about it. After thinking for a few minutes we decided we had two options: We could stick our hands in there and pull the serpent out, or we could spray something in there and see if the snake would come out on its own.
Naturally, we opted for option two, as the though of touching a snake makes me light headed and have heart palpitations.
So, we tried spray. You have to be careful when spraying stuff around a bell housing, as not everything mixes with clutch components, but I did have a can of brake parts cleaner and it works well with clutch parts. So, armed with a can of brake parts cleaner I boldly sprayed it into the starter hole and then bravely ran backwards about 20 feet to see what would happen.
After waiting about 5 seconds the snake made its way out of the engine and ran straight toward the chicken pen. A garden hoe finished the job and in an ironic act of vengeance, the chickens began to eat the snake.
Needless to say the motor work will wait for another day — just another day on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment